Lose weight on vacation
In this episode you’ll learn about 10 things that help me lose weight while on vacation, plus…
- How I still eat amazing food in large quantities.
- The time that you need to workout for best results.
- What can make your cheat meals turn into muscle using energy.
- Tools to bring with you on vacation.
- And much, much more.
Why try to lose weight on vacation…
You will feel enormously better if you keep up with your fitness program while on vacation. You’ll feel better while you’re eating vacation foods, and when you get back from your vacation.
1. Get your workout done first thing in the morning.
– Chances are you’ll have lots of fun things going on while you’re on vacation, so plan to get up early, and get your workout done before doing anything else that day.
– This will also counteract the possible poor food choices that you’re going to make for breakfast.
– Whenever possible I always get into a CrossFit gym in the morning while on vacation. That leaves me feeling accomplished for the rest of the day.
2. Research possible workout locations before leaving.
– Make a solid effort to find gyms, or other workout locations before leaving on your vacation. If you have a plan for working out, you’ll have a better chance of doing it.
– If you find a gym that you’d like to go to… email them to ask about drop-ins rates.
1. Just this small communication will help you stick to your plan.
3. Exercise in the vacation environment.
– If you’re near a beach… do a swim workout.
– If you’re in the mountains… do a hill run workout.
– If you’re in a city find a gym, or go on a running tour of the city before the hustle and bustle of the day begins.
4. Doing a workout that is short and intense will give you more bang for your buck than a long walk or hike.
– If you create (or find) a very intense (20 minute or less), muscle burning workout, you’re going to set yourself up for success.
– These short workouts are going to prime your muscles to store your vacation foods more advantageously than a long, slow workout.
5. Get support.
– If you’re on vacation with other people… you are bound to hear at least one person say “you’re on vacation, why are you working out”. As if a vacation has anything to do with working out. When you’re on vacation you should be doing so to take care of yourself, right…
– Get someone to commit to doing the workouts with you. There’s power in numbers. And pretty soon you’ll get the whole group to join in. Seriously, I’ve done this.
– You can also simply tell the naysayers that your 20 minute workout is going to allow you to lose weight on vacation, eat vacation foods without a care in the world, while they can bet on getting fatter.
6. Bring some bands & a jumprope
– They will easily fit in your luggage, and you can get a great workout in very little space.
– Think banded thrusters, double unders, and burpees. Ouch!
7. Get creative before that big feeding.
– If you know that you’ll be eating a huge vacation meal, sneak off to the bathroom (or your hotel room), and do 50 air squats and 30 push-ups as fast as you can. Doing this will give you the best chance of utilizing that vacation food for good, rather than evil.
8. Plan activities that will also be exercise. Here are some examples:
– Snorkling, walking tours, waterfall hikes, scuba diving, river rafting, etc. All of these will help you lose weight on vacation.
9. Plan your largest vacation cheat meals for the evening.
– This will allow you to prep for your cheat meal(s) by getting your exercising done during the day.
– In fact, this works so well that I almost always lose weight while on vacation. I can’t remember a recent vacation that I haven’t lost weight.
10. Drink LOT of water.
– It’s very common for people to go on vacation and only drink fruit juice, alcoholic drinks, soda, etc. If you’re going to do that… fine. But make sure you are also drinking the appropriate amount of daily water with that other crap.
– Without getting into a whole water discussion, you should just know that drinking enough water will help your body to function better, and if you’re body is functioning better… You get the idea.
Resources and links mentioned in this podcast
Partners mentioned in this podcast
*above could be affiliate links. I get a small commission if you click through them and buy, but they in no way make the products cost anymore. If you decide to use them please let me know so I can thank you.
Help me out!
If you haven’t done so already, it would totally help me out if you could give me a quick iTunes review by clicking the link below. My goal is to help as many people as possible with this podcast, and each review helps me get more people listening.