In this episode you’ll learn the truth behind alcohol and recovery, plus…
- Why alcohol stops your recovery.
- How alcohol makes you fatter.
- How even one glass of wine disrupts your sleep.
- What you can start doing today to avoid alcohol.
- And much, much more.
* Diuretic effects will cause your body to produce more urine, and in turn get your closer to dehydration.
* This will also flush out vitamins and minerals that are essential for your body to run correctly.
* Because alcohol is a poison, your body want to get rid of it as soon as possible. So, imagine that you just ate a delicious steak, and decided to have a beer with your steak. You body is now going to prioritize the digestion of the alcohol to “get that shit out of your system”. Which is disrupting the amino acids (aka proteins) from being digested, and building those beautiful muscles that you want.
Lower Testosterone/Higher Cortisol
* Studies suggest that as little as 2-3 beers can lower one’s testosterone levels. Not good if you want to feel like a confident human being.
* Cortisol will cause your body to breakdown muscle tissues. Cool?
Reduced Muscle Growth/Recovery
* Alcohol impares protein synthesis, which means, if you drink too often, you’re likely to not be recovering from workouts, and definitely not getting those GAINZ that you want so badly.
* You should know that alcohol has 7 calories per gram. And of those calories, none of them (or very few) can be stored for future energy use in the body, or use for tissue repair.
* Alcohol also causes a release in insulin. Insulin’s job is to push nutrients into cells. So, this will make the nutrients in your body very likely to be stored as fat when drinking, as your body isn’t usually signaling for glycogen storage at the bar.
It messes with Sleep
* Consuming alcohol within 2-3 hours of going to bed will inhibit your bodies ability to get into deeper sleep cycles. Yes, even though you might feel like you’re falling asleep faster, you are NOT sleeping better. In fact, you’re really messing up your sleep.
Benefits of alcohol
* Our bodies are designed to be stressed and come back stronger from that stress. When you poison yourself with alcohol there is some of this effect happening, and there’s a study that shows an increase in healthy cholesterol with moderate alcohol consumption. Remember that exercise also causes an increase in healthy cholesterol.
“And drinking alcohol to excess can poison muscle fibres which means they don’t adapt like they should do for up to three days,” says Lovall. – Elite sports nutritionist Matt Lovall
Steve from Nerd Fitness says
“ If your goal is elite performance, rapid weight loss, or rapid muscle gain: abstain from drinking as much as possible. If you need to lose a lot of weight very quickly (maybe you have a wedding coming up, a weight loss competition at work, or a vacation and you want to get a slim as possible), cut out the drinking completely. It messes with your sleep and your hormones, two crucial aspects of weight loss and muscle building.”
Mens Fitness – Alcohol and Fitness
Drink Aware – Health Effects of Alcohol
Livestrong – Effects of Alcohol on Fitness
Nerd Fitness – Alcohol
Greenfield Fitness Systems – How Alcohol Makes You Fat
Ben Greenfield Fitness – 30 Days, No Alcohol
Resources and links mentioned in this podcast
Holosync for meditation and sleep – Click here to check it out
Partners mentioned in this podcast
*above could be affiliate links. I get a small commission if you click through them and buy, but they in no way make the products cost anymore. If you decide to use them please let me know so I can thank you. Affiliate Disclosure
Help me out!
If you haven’t done so already, it would totally help me out if you could give me a quick iTunes review by clicking the link below. My goal is to help as many people as possible with this podcast, and each review helps me get more people listening.