Over the last few months I have been on the search for the ultimate gym bag. A bag that can carry everything that I need for a regular day at the gym, or a weekend CrossFit competition.
During this search I asked many people, and tried many different bags…
Some things that I found to be intangibles when using a gym bag are…
- A shoe compartment. Having a space that not only carries your shoes, but keeps them separate from the rest of your clothes and food is imperative.
- You must have a shoulder strap.
- You must have lots of pockets. It’s great if you have space for all of your stuff, but if you have to rustle to the bottom of your bag every time you want to find something, it gets old. Pockets make keeping your things (supps, forks, wallet/keys, tape) in easy to find locations.
- It must be durable. If your gym bad isn’t durable it will fall apart quickly. It’s something that you’re going in and out of all the time.
At a recent CrossFit competition I saw a few competitors carrying around a bad that looked like it had a lot of different compartments. I was intrigued so I didn’t some research and found out it was a bag by King Kong Apparel.
Let the research begin…
I looked at their site trying to find out as much as I could about the King Kong bags. I searched google. And I asked people to had them.
I even emailed King Kong directly to ask questions. Who promptly got back to me with pictures of the things I was asking about.
When the bag arrived…
I could immediately tell it was a durable gym bag. The material was very thick, and the zippers were large.
I tore into the King Kong gym bag looking at all of the different compartments that it offered. And here’s what I found…
King Kong Bag Highlights
– Durable material
– Two shoe compartments
– Two water bottle holders
– Large clothes compartment
– Many smaller pockets for things like supplements, food, etc.
I’ve been taking the King Kong gym bag with me to the CrossFit box everyday for about a month. I like to wait at least a month before I give my complete review of a product. And after cramming my stuff in the bag, tossing it in my car, grabbing stuff out of it on the gym floor, and hauling it back home for over a month, this is what I’ve concluded…
This bag can take a beating, and you wouldn’t know it. What I mean is that you can beat it up, and it still will look like new.
I’ve found that I use the little compartments a lot more than I thought I would. On the front I have protein bars in one, and my silverware in the other. So, those pockets get use A LOT!
Then I’ve been putting my clothes and food (in Tupperware) in the large main compartment, and my smaller supplements in the side compartment.
And the dual bottle holders have been great! I put my 32 ounce water bottle in one, and my shaker bottle in the other. I love that there are two of them, and that they are on the outside of the bag. I don’t know about you, but I drink WAY more water when I can see my water bottle than if it’s hiding inside my bag somewhere.
During everyday use the shoe compartments probably get the least amount of use. This is because I keep my lifting shoes at the gym. If that wasn’t the case, and I brought them home each day, they would get used all the time. I will use this feature like crazy when I’m at a competition. Where I like to bring three pairs of shoes, so being able to carry two of them in the bag will be awesome!
There are a lot of gym bags on the market to choose from, but I think it will be hard to find one that has all of the features and durability of the King Kong gym bag 3.0.
You can checkout the King Kong bag yourself at: https://kingkongapparel.com/products/king-kong-original?aff=10
– As of August 2018, I am still using my King Kong gym bag for all of my competitions and travel.
– In September 2018 I got the King Kong Backpack II and it has become my full time bag. Checkout the review here.
*above could be affiliate links. I get a small commission if you click through them and buy, but they in no way make the products cost anymore. If you decide to use them please let me know so I can thank you. Affiliate Disclosure