If you’re a CrossFit athlete you know that having a good speed rope is essential for doing double unders, and double unders have become a major part of the sport.
The rope must been comfortable enough for you to actually feel like you can recover from your other high intensity CrossFit movements while doing your double unders.
- The size of the handles
- Do you like to have a full grip on your handles or do you like a small fingertip only grip?
- The weight of the rope/cable
- If you’re still trying to get the hang of doing double unders you’ll likely want a heavier cable, as this will make it easier to feel each rotation.
- Where as if you’re more advanced at doing double unders you’ll likely want a lighter cable, which will cause less fatigue while doing higher rep sets.
- The coating that you rope/cable has
- If you’re going to be doing double unders on varied surfaces you’ll want to make sure that you have a durable coating around your cable.
- If you know that you’ll always be doing double unders on a rubber mat you can go with a bare cable, or something that will be easier to shred on the wrong surface, or over time with regular use.
- How well the rope spins
- This can be a major factor because if your rope spins well it will make you feel like you can do many more double unders with much less effort.
Taking all of these things into account when I got the Urban Strength Speed Rope, I was pleased to see that it had a nice large handle. I really like to have my whole hand on the handle while doing double unders. This makes me feel like I have more muscles of my hand and forearm to work with.
The weight of the Urban Strength is excellent for the intermediate to advanced CrossFit athlete. It gives you enough weight to feel the rotations, but isn’t so heavy that you’d burn out if you had to do 100+ double unders in a row.
Next the durability of the rope is great! The handles are hard plastic, and the cable is coated in a plastic or rubber material that is very wear resistant.
I’ve spent a couple of weeks using the rope at StoneWay CrossFit where I let other athletes borrow it if they need a good rope to use. And you can’t tell that the rope has worn at all.
Not to mention the spin of the rope is spot on. It’s a very smooth rope to use, which is why it’s good for the intermediate or advanced athlete.
Lastly, maybe the coolest thing about the Urban Strength Speed Rope is the versatility of length that it offers. Most ropes that I’ve used require you to order the exact length that you need, or to cut the cable to the ideal length for each athlete.
But, with this rope there’s a really great length adjuster that allows athletes of all different heights to use the rope. And the adjustment is very quick, with no tools required.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a solid jumprope at a very competitive price the Urban Strength Speed Rope should definitely be considered!
Click here to buy the Urban Strength Speed Rope