Working out at home isn’t the easiest practice; you have to motivate yourself and arm yourself with the right equipment and tools. But, once you’ve established a routine, the whole process will become a lot easier. To help to establish a routine, and improve your at-home workouts, try using these 5 simple tips.
1. It’s all about environment
It can be challenging to motivate yourself to exercise at home, which is why it’s essential to create the right space.
Choose a designated workout area. You might need to clear away the clutter and rearrange the furniture to give yourself as much space as possible. Make the space as attractive as possible, the aesthetics of a space will affect how you feel, so it’s important to make your workout area look inviting! This is very similar to building an at-home office space.
2. Try exercise apps
Exercise apps are an excellent way to support your home workout, and there are so many options to choose from. To get you started to try out:
- Nike Training Club App: With the Nike Training Club App, you’ll get hundreds of free workout sessions including home bodyweight workouts, yoga classes and HIIT. There are plenty of different workouts to choose from including ‘Boost Your Mood’, ‘Big Workouts For Small Spaces’, and ‘For The Whole Family’.
- Peloton: Peloton is an app where you can access live spin sessions. There are also workouts which do not require a spin bike. Sessions range from 10 minutes to an hour, so you can choose your duration depending on how much time you have.
- The Get Better Project: Which includes at-home workouts and online coaching to dial in your nutrition and even movement. Yes, the coaches will actually review your movements to make sure you’re staying injury free.
3. Invest in workout equipment
To improve your at-home workouts, it’s useful to invest in home gym equipment. Depending on your budget, you can keep things simple or go all out.
Option 1: Purchase equipment such as dumbbells, kettlebells, resistance bands and a jump rope.
Option 2: Buy the above equipment and also invest in a barbell, bumper weights, fitness bike, rowing machine and/or treadmill.
Option 3: Purchase several home exercise machines, creating a space for your very own home gym.
***Checkout this complete at-home gym equipment buyers guide. ***
4. Use your outdoor space
Making use of your outdoor space can help you to add a little variety to your workout. This could be your driveway, yard, or patio.
Exercising outdoors will help you adapt to temperature changes, get much needed vitamin d, and get a nice bit of fresh air as you workout.
5. Keep things challenging
Lastly, it’s important to keep your workout regime challenging, if they become too easy, you’ll struggle to make progress.
When your body lacks a challenge, it’s easy to get bored and you will struggle to meet your goals (meaning you won’t meet your goals).
Try to keep your body guessing by following a great at-home workout program, or switching things up frequently while keep your intensity high. For more ideas on How To Make Your At-Home Workouts More Challenging, check out Mountainside Fitness.
If you have any questions we’d be happy to answer them. Just drop them in the comments section below.